As fall rolls around each year, you are likely to find me in my kitchen making gingerbread. My mom discovered this recipe when she stayed at the romantic B&B called Inn on the Creek in Salado, Texas. I believe, with all my heart, that it is the best gingerbread recipe on the planet!
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 pound dark brown sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup softened butter
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh ground nutmeg (this is what makes it awesome!)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add eggs to buttermilk. Blend and set aside.
- Combine brown sugar and flour. Cut in butter. Reserve 1 cup of mixture for later use. To remainder of sugar mixture add baking soda, ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir in buttermilk mixture just until all ingredients are moist.
- Pour batter into 9 by 13-inch greased and floured metal baking pan. Sprinkle reserved cup of sugar mixture over top of batter.
- Bake 35-45 minutes.
Serve with mounds of freshly whipped cream.
Note: Whole Nutmeg looks like this:
Use a grater to get fresh nutmeg. I know, it seems like extra workâ€¦but once you taste it, you will never want your nutmeg any other way than fresh!